Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

MagicSorceressTheQuestLightTigerTheTedsHereComesThePainBlackWidowguy-fawkesEvil ClownMedievCC746-Wicked-Jester-195x300TheEpicSadnessCoverZombieAndyHungryGunGirlKermitWriterJollyRogerAndyCrimeSceneTwoInTheGardenKidsInTheStreetIMG_20140212_135222MG_3218

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Inadvisable Cover Songs

Remember the scene in Wayne's World where the guys go to a guitar store and the sign on the wall says NO STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN? That's because covering Robert Plant is usually a terrible idea. The only time I've seen it pulled off successfully happened a few years ago, when I had the privilege of seeing kHz's Raiana sing "Black Dog" and "Rock and Roll" at the Viper Room in LA, with Dave Navarro standing in on guitar. I also recall that Sheryl Crow does a decent cover of the latter song, though not as well as Raiana--she blew the roof off.

I was in a store yesterday, and heard a cover song that made me cringe. Singers, to lessen the chance of that I throw up in my own mouth in the future, please please please do NOT cover Van Morrison. Unless, of course, you're Robert Plant.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment